Friday, March 23, 2012

Rachel Hawkins Book Signing!

The Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins
OMG you guys I went to a Rachel Hawkins signing last night!!!!  It was so much fun!  For those of you who aren't familiar, Rachel Hawkins is the author of the Hex Hall series.  The first book was published in 2010, the second Demonglass was published in 2011, and the final book in the trilogy Spell Bound just came out March 13.  This was only the second author signing I've ever been too, and while it was a much smaller crowd it was still wonderfully entertaining.

The wonderful Rachel Hawkins
Ok so let me just say that Rachel Hawkins is fantasticly charming and lovely.  She talked about her path to being an author and then went on to talk about Hex Hall and how she was inspired to write it. 
  • She started off as a hardcore Barbie player with complex subplots and character arcs
  • Then she wrote stories for he friends during chemistry class 
  • In college she studied English because there's never a job guarentee at the end of college, so you might as well enjoy your four years doing something awesome and cross the job bridge when you get to it. 
  • For Hex Hall she loved the idea of a magical boarding school but she didn't want to seem like she was coyping Harry Potter.  So she thought "What if I go the opposite way and make the boarding school a bad place, a place of punishment?"
  • She wrote Hex Hall in 4 months, had an agent 1 week after finishing the book, and a book deal with Hyperion 6 weeks later (WOW that's fast!)
In the works for Rachel  is a Hex Hall spin off based on one of the chracters in Spell Bound (won't tell you who but Rachel says it will be obvious) due out spring of 2013.  Also in the fall of 2013 is the first of a new series, Rebel Belle.  Rachel described it as not a paranormal book, but more of a super heros meets greek mythology.  Sounds awesome!

I'd like to thank Rachel for coming to Ohio and for signing my books.  It was a wonderful experience and I can't wait to read the Hex Hall series.  Also if you're interested in seeing Rachel on her tour there are still a few stops left, so be sure to check it out! 

MARCH 26: JACKSON, MS, Lemuria.

MARCH 27: OXFORD, MS, Square Books Jr.

MARCH 28: NASHVILLE, TN, Parnassus Books.

MARCH 30: BOSTON, MA, Wellesley Books.


So awesome!


4 comments:

  1. You are the most delightful nerd ever and I am so proud and happy to have you as a friend! <3 I 100% adore you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yay! Once you see the hunger games movie you have to call me so we can geek out together :)

      Delete
  2. What a great write up!

    Like, I seriously want to read Hex Hall now.

    Plus it's fascinating how she liked Magical Boarding school, but didn't want to piggyback on Harry Potter and went the opposite way. That's very interesting to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was really cool! She also mentioned that in Hex Hall they talk about harry potter because it's a part of our culture. It makes sense to reference it, and I think a lot of authors are afraid of being accused of copying harry potter. It was a super fun experience and in a month there will be another tour with Dan Wells, Jill Hathaway, and Kimberly Derting so I will have another post like this soon!

      Delete