Monday, January 6, 2014

2014 Goals and Resolutions

Hey guys!  Happy 2014!  Long time no blog, I know.  I needed a break from social media.  I didn't make any youtube videos either, so don't feel too neglected.  But it's a new year and a fresh start!  In this post I wanted to outline my redirected focus for the blog and youtube channel and let you know my resolutions.  Don't worry, a 2013 wrap up will be next.

Also, I've been using This Planner to help me get organized for 2014.  I've been using Leonie Dawson's year planner since 2011 and I absolutely love it.  Now you can get a digital or a physical copy and I highly recommend checking it out.  There's still plenty of time to create an amazing 2014!

Bookish Goals

1.  No Reading Challenge - I'm doing something a little different this year.  I'm not setting a specific number of books to read this year.  I get too hung up on staying on schedule and then I don't enjoy what I'm reading because I'm rushing and I also stay away from longer or harder books because I'm afraid it will take too long to read.  I want to take my time and enjoy my reading process this year.

2.  Book Buying Ban - Full disclosure.  I am really embarrassed to admit that I currently have 867 unread physical copies of books.  That is so embarrassing to admit.  At my current reading rate this would take close to TEN YEARS to read all of these.  So I'm going on a book buying ban for all of 2014.  There are a few exceptions, but not many.
  • If I am given a gift card I can spend it on books.
  • If there is a book signing I'm really interested in I can buy the book for it.
  • Cress by Marissa Meyer Feb. 4
  • Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor April 8
Yep you read the right, I officially plan on only purchasing 2 books for the entire year.  As for book signings it has to been an author I've at least heard of and am really interested in the book they've written.  I'd guess around 5 or so for the year.  Any other books that I don't own in the collection will be borrowed from the library.

3.  Sell 100 Books - Not only am I looking to not add to the collection, I'm hoping to downsize it as well.  The way I will be accomplishing this by figuring out how many pages is roughly 20% of the book and then deciding if I want to keep reading.  If the answer is no it goes in the sell pile.  Also any books I rate 1 or 2 stars will also go in the sell pile.  3 and 4 stars will be evaluated based on how likely I will be to re-read it, and 5 star books earn automatic self space.

Those are all of my bookish goals.  Not too bad really.  I do have a few specific books I want to read, but I'm not putting too much pressure on myself. 

Other Goals

I do have a few other life goals.  I do have a financial goal where I want to save a specific amount of money and I also want to put some extra money toward my student loans (beyond my monthly payments).  To achieve this goal I figured out a monthly budget that I hope to live by, but damn it is tough! 

Another goal I have is to run in my first 10k.  I've already signed up for a race on September 20th, which means I've only got 257 days left to train (eek!).  Of course I've started off in fine fashion by catching a terrible cold, but I hope to get into training today.  I'm using Hal Higdon's training programs to build up my endurance.

My final big goal for 2014 is to participate in Life Book 2014, a year long art course hosted by Tamara Laporte at Willowing Arts.  Each week we are sent a lesson from Tam or one of her guest teachers.  I've already done the first lesson and I loved it, so I'm really excited to see what else will come from this course.

So those are my 2014 goals, I think I can live by them, but I'll definitely have to work!  What are your goals for 2014?  Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment