Monday, July 25, 2011

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

#1 in Vampire Academy Series
Published in 2007 by Razorbill
4 Stars

Goodreads Review

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school—it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's—the very place where they're most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

Review:  Vampire Academy is a surprisingly gripping adventure novel that introduces the mythology of the vampire society of the series while still being a solid book within itself.  Vampire Academy is equally thrilling with fast action, fighting, and scintillating forbidden romance.  


Let's start off with my only real criticism of this book.  The cover art.  I hate it.  I really hate the expression on the model's face and the colors used, the background, the spine, the font, everything.  That coupled with the cheesy title really drove me away from the series for a long time.  Vampire Academy is a prime example of how a bad cover can almost ruin a book.  The only reason I read this book at all was because every single book blogger I knew was raving about this series.  Vampire Academy is also proof that giving into peer pressure is sometimes not such a bad thing.


Ok, now that that's out of the way I can go on with the many reasons I loved this book.  First there's Rose.  She's the main character of the book and she is smart, spirited, sexy, and strong .  She is loyal  (hey look an not s adjective!) and will do anything to protect her best friend, Lissa.  I like how Rose isn't perfect.  She may be beautiful but she still makes mistakes and is selfish and does stupid things and has to deal with the consequences.  I loved reading about her psychic connection with Lissa and her budding romance with Dmitri.  I also really enjoyed all of the other supporting characters.  I thought they were well portrayed and all helped the story progress.    


I also really liked the romantic scenes in Vampire Academy.  They were very well written; the tension and build up were perfectly timed.  I found myself skipping ahead in the book to get to the next sexy make out session which is something I really don't do in books unless I really cannot wait to read what happens next.


I also really enjoyed the vampire lore.  I thought the two classes of vampires were unique and interesting.  It helped the reader like the vampire characters because there were true evil vampires out there.  They fit both the goody Twilight mold and the pure evil Buffy mold, so there's a little something for everyone no matter which type of vampire you prefer.  


Overall Vampire Academy is a good introduction to a very compelling series.  It has plenty of action, suspense, and romance that is sure to thrill readers with every page.

3 comments:

  1. I still have yet to read this! I agree that the cover art is horrible.

    Thanks for the lovely review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the cover is pretty terrible but trust me, the story inside it is really good. However I think the series doesn't really take off until book three. Shadow Kiss is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this series. Everyone has read it except me!

    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete