2 stars
Goodreads Review
Girl, Interrupted meets Beautiful Creatures in this fast-paced thriller
When sixteen-year-old Faye arrives at Holbrook Academy, she doesn't expect to find herself exactly where she needs to be. After years of strange waking visions and nightmares, her only comfort the bones of dead animals, Faye is afraid she's going crazy. Fast.
But her first night at Holbrook, she feels strangely connected to the school and the island it sits on, like she's come home. She's even made her first real friends, but odd things keep happening to them. Every morning they wake on the floors of their dorm rooms with their hands stained red.
Faye knows she's the reason, but what does it all mean? The handsome Kel tries to help her unravel the mystery, but Faye is certain she can't trust him; in fact, he may be trying to kill her - and the rest of the world too.
Rich, compelling writing will keep the pages turning in this riveting and tautly told psychological thriller.
Review: Harbinger had a lot of things going on. I mean a LOT. There were elements that were dystopian, paranormal, psychological thriller, or romance. Unfortunately these ideas were not strung together well and gave Harbinger a disorderly and confusing plot.
Harbinger is set in a post apocalyptic type world, but because Faye is secluded in an institution type place, we only get hints at the dystopian world around her. This would be ok if the action was only in Holbrook Academy, but the story eventually stretches to a world wide problem. Because of the scope of the issues presented by the end of the book I really needed more information about the current government and social structure. We just don't get enough information about what went wrong and what changed from today to bring the world to such a drastic situation. I felt like there was a lot of interesting things there, but it was treated as common knowledge, which in a made up world doesn't really work. Honestly I would have just shifted the setting to today's world because the story is about what is happening at the academy and all of this post apocalyptic stuff was just distracting.
I also found the characters to be really confusing. There's some really unfortunate insta-love with Faye and this guy she meets named Kel. It's that common trope of two people instantly knowing they are super special snowflakes the first time they meet. I really don't like relationships like that in books, I much prefer the slow burn of a relationship that takes a whole book to develop. I find the payoff much more satisfying. (Plus it's never a good sign when the romance happening between two side characters is more charming than the main love interests.)
I felt like there was a lot of potential with Harbinger. The mystery was intriguing and suspense was built well throughout the first half of the novel. However there are just too many different story threads that aren't pulled together neatly. Harbinger would have definitely benefited from a stronger editor who could have narrowed down the scope of the book to just the elements that are essential to the plot and cut the rest out.
On a brighter note, there was some really fantastic marketing when the book came out and artists were commissioned to create different scenes from the book. I think this is a bang up idea and I wish more books would do stuff like this. Some of these turned out quite lovely, which I think is proof that there is potential with this book in terms of creativity. Below are some of my favorites, but check out all of the art here.

(c) Mary Etienne

(c) Andrea Offermann

(c) Andrew Mitchell

Sounds to me like the author should get busy and write more mysteries. We learn with each effort.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, a new release of the ebook could happen if she found another editor and cleaned up the ends. :-)
Anna @ http://emaginette.wordpress.com
I find the same thing happens with other books. If there is too much going on and too many sub plots the story just doesn't work. I had this book on my TBR but I might put it off for a while longer. I do love the artwork.. beautiful! Awesome review!
ReplyDeleteAnge @ Moonlight Reader