So today I wanted to talk about something a little different, but still very "bookish" in my opinion. A few months ago I discovered a fantastic app called Zombies, Run! This app takes a standard workout running tracker and combines it with an audio book like story. In between songs that you upload as a playlist you hear radio transmissions from people in a township called Abel, a community trying to survive during the zombie apocalypse.
This app is absolutely perfect for someone like me, who enjoys books and video games far more than exercising. I get so incredibly bored on the treadmill or just lifting weights over and over. I love that Zombies, Run! gives me not only missions and goals, but a captivating story and intriguing characters. I'm actually sad when I complete a mission and have to wait a day before I can do the next one! I'm excited to go running....which is extremely weird!
I've had a goal for a few years now of running a 5k without stopping. I participated in my first one ever last year (The Color Run! Such a blast) but didn't run the entire thing. I decided this year I would up the ante and I have signed up for Run for Your Lives, a zombie themed 5k obstacle course. The race is June 22, so I have 130 days to train.
I started my training last week by doing the first week of the spin off app, Zombies, Run! 5k. This app is set in between missions 1 and 2 of the main app and lets runner 5 get to know some of the people in Abel while they train up to prepare for longer missions. This is a great premise and so far I've really enjoyed it.
![]() |
| My Zombies, Run! uniform, courtesy of my mom at Christmas. I love my mom. |
- 10 minute walk for a warm up
- 10 reps of walk 1 minute, run 15 seconds
- 10 minute free run, which means you can walk the whole thing, run the whole thing, or do a combination of the two based on your fitness level.
Running outside is a lot better; it makes the intervals easier, later on you have to stop and do some strength exercises that would be a lot easier off a treadmill, and the app works better with the GPS. I did have some problems with the app not recording my workouts, misjudging the distances I ran (I know I didn't run 9.5 miles in 36 minutes!), and randomly stop playing music half way through. The app hasn't synced any workout to the website since Friday. However they did just change the entire layout of their site, so I'm not surprised there are still a few bugs.
Technical kinks aside I really love this app. I love it for the atmosphere it brings and the story it tells. I am really invested in these character and am excited every day to go on my run. This is a big deal for me because I have never been a runner, ever.


I love this app too. I'm not a runner at all, so I am absolutely amazed that I look forward to running every day.
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way! Unfortunately I hurt my back so I haven't been able to do the app for a week and a half, but I think today I'll try and get back into it. It's a ton of fun!
Delete