Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 8/28/2012: Bookish Confessions


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.  This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish.  We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

This week we're confessing our bookish dirty secret.  Our little cheats, habits, and shameful behaviours.

1.  Sometimes I go back and change my star ratings. 

After I finish a book I always go on goodreads and immediately mark it as finished and give it a star rating.  But then after reading other reviews and talking to people about the book sometimes my mind will be swayed and I'll change my star rating (usually lower).  I think I initially rate books too high and other people's opinions change my mind.

2.  I totally judge books by their covers.

If the cover doesn't grab my attention the chances of me reading it are pretty slim.  It has to get good enough reviews for the book to really stand out to convince me to buy it.

3.  I am a drama fiend.

I'll admit it, I love to read super snarky reviews and all of the bat-shit crazy comment wars that ensue.  I secretly love reading about authors losing their shit on reviewers or people fighting over arcs or journalists making sweeping assumptions about the book blogging community.  What can I say, I'm a Libra!

4.  I buy way more books than I can ever hope to actually read.

I love to go book shopping the way other women go clothes and shoes shopping.  I have such excitement for ALL THE NEW RELEASES!  and I go out and buy them but then get bogged down and never get around to reading them.  It really stresses me out because I feel like they all deserve to be read but I'm just too slow.

5.  I suck at netgalley.

See above.  I get so excited for new books and when I see them on netgalley and I get into a frothing frenzy and request all the books...then never read them.  o.O

6.  I don't trust anybody with my books.

I hate lending my books to people because I always get them back completely trashed!  It's so annoying and completely disrespectful and I really hate it (URGH!).

7.  I am a book peeker.

Whenever I see someone reading in public I try and surreptitiously figure out what they're reading, but I think I've been caught a few times. 

8.  I'm not a real fan 

I tell people I'm a Jane Austen fan, but I've only read Pride and Prejudice.  I don't know what is wrong with me

8.  I have a secret desire to be a writer, but I think people judge me for it.

I'm really afraid to talk about my desire to be an author, because then I get this reaction:



And it makes me feel like shit.

9.  People in my life constantly make fun of me about my reading habit.

I get a lot of flack for how much I enjoy reading and other nerdy things, such as video games and obscure movies, and I have to admit it makes me feel pretty bad sometimes. 

So those are my bookish confessions, what are some of yours?  Post in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. So much to say! Great list!

    #1-- I am so guilty of this on Goodreads sometimes. Not often but from time to time I think about a book a little longer and realize I've been a bit too generous. On occasion it's been because somebody else brings up a good point and it will make me rethink my own initial thoughts.

    #5 OMG SAME HERE. I swear they are going to revoke my Netgalley membership at some point or put me on an auto-deny list lol

    #7 TOTALLY ME. My husband (whew that's so weird to say..I've been married like 2 weeks!) says I'm such a creeper when I try to figure out what people are reading. I can't help it. And then I get all excited and all, "OMG that stranger and I would totes be best friends based on that reading choice" or "OMG I wonder what they think about this or that part"

    Great confessions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they can't ban you from netgalley can they!? EEK I hope not! haha I have good intentions....

      Delete
  2. I do the same as number 1! Usually months later I will be looking through my good reads and see a 4 or a 5 star rating and after taking time away I realize I rated too high! Though I've also been known to see a 2 or 3 star rating and think I didn't rate it high enough and change it that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not on Netgalley, but I've seen so many people say the same thing, which has helped me stay away from it (but it's hard).

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete

  4. #1 Sometimes I do go back like whenever I re-read that book or when like you said somebody proved a good point and I'm like hey why didn't I think of that? lol :)) sometimes I'll state that in a certain review or not I dunno depends really..

    #2 I sometimes judge the book by the cover esp. when it's so pretty I'll dive into the hype,buy it just because it will look oh so beautiful in my collection also because I would like to partake in their discussions & relate to them XD

    #4 I totally agree I'm quite guilty about this pwahaha!

    #8 & #9 The moment I got exposed on how the book community radiates such awesomeness I'm like hey! why didn't I thought about being an author or librarian or anything under book related category nyaha! and of course being the weird one & all time reader in the family it took me some time to actually just accept & embrace me being different from them & so when someone say you're weird I always reply "Yeah,I know right?! please tell me something I don't know (booya!sarcasm lol :)))

    I would like to do this list in my blog looks so much fun!I'll try to come up with something thanks for sharing your bookish secrets^_~

    ReplyDelete