Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Top Ten Best TV Shows On Netflix Instant


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

This week is a free week so I'm going to talk about my favorite shows on Netflix instant watch.  I LOVE the instant watch option for Netflix and I have watched many TV shows, so here is a list of my favorites (warning, this will be VERY Joss Whedon heavy!).

1.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The entire 7 seasons of Buffy are on Netflix instant (along with the spin off series, Angel) and is a cult classic and essential for all internet/Joss Whedon nerds.  In my opinion Buffy is a culture icon of the late 90s/early 2000s and a must watch.

2.  The Guild - Created by Internet maven Felicia Day as a webseries, The Guild is a fantastic show about a rag-tag group of MMO gamers that start to interact IRL.  I love this show because the characters in the show ARE my friends.  Anyone who plays WoW or knows someone who does will appreciate this show.

I love their avatar costumes!  I want to be Codex!
3.  Dance Academy - This Australian show is a stereotypical teen drama to be sure, but I still love it.  Dance Academy follows the story of Tara, a young dancer from the country who is accepted to the prestigious National Dance Academy.  While the show is super teen-cheese I still was really invested in the characters (I actually cried at the end of series 2, I'll admit it).  It's a great show for fans of Save the Last Dance or Center Stage.

4.  Revenge - Revenge is a new find for me, but it is completely engrossing.  I haven't finished the first season yet, but I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Emily work her way into the bed of her enemies and seeing her cope with chinks in her plan. 

5.  Sherlock - This modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes breathes some much needed life into the slew of crime dramas that are currently on tv.  It's funny and interesting and extremely clever and one of the best Sherlock Holmes adaptations I've ever seen (though as much as people seem to love Benedict Cumberbatch I cannot seem to get his creeptastic character from Atonement out of my head).

That mustache gives me nightmares
6.  Firefly - The only bad thing about Firefly is there's only one season.  Nathan Fillion is fantastic and so is the rest of the crew.  Be sure to check out not only the series but the follow up movie Serenity.

7.  Dollhouse - Another Joss Whedon show (told you there was a lot!) and Dollhouse introduced me to Topher Grace, one of my favorite tv characters ever.

One word - HOT
8.  The Walking Dead - I LOVE ZOMBIES.  The Walking Dead does a great job showing not only the awesome zombie murder-gore action but also the psychological, social, and ethical impact a zombie outbreak will have.  The best zombie tv show, ever.

9.  My So Called Life - My So Called Life was one of the first teen focused shows to deal with drugs, suicide, and homosexuality in a very real and honest way.  There's only one season and it ends on such a cliffhanger, I'm not sure I'm ever going to get over not knowing if Angela and Jordan ever got together and if there was anything to that Lesbian-ish vibe between Rayanne and Sharon.

10.  Skins (UK) - The first two seasons of Skins is absolutely fantastic.  The cast is phenomenal and the writing on point.  Ignore the 3rd season on and the US remake and you'll be good to go.

1 comment:

  1. Revenge is my guilty pleasure. I'm a sucker for revenge stories XD
    I'm also watching TVD, Dexter, Once Upon a Time, Heart of Dixie and Downton Abbey.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete