This is a weekly meme hosted by Booking Through Thursday in which every week a different question is posted that generally involved books and reading.
In contrast to last week’s question–What do you think of censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too “old” for your kids to read?
I think that it is largely up to the parents to be aware of what their children are doing/reading/watching/playing ect. Parents should monitor everything that comes into the house and be aware of the content. If there is any question the parents should read the book first and decide if they think it is appropriate, especially with elementary and middle school kids. I also think that when their children hit high school they should give their kids more room to make their own decisions because their kids should be allowed to start judging the quality and content of materials on their own.
When it comes to libraries, there should be no banned books in public libraries. I think that for an adult any and every book should be available. However, with children I agree with restricted accounts. When I was a kid I couldn't check out any movies and I think there might have been some books I couldn't check out, but I never ran into that. Again I think that parents should approve the books before their kids check them out. For school libraries I think that questionable books should be reviewed by a panel of teachers and parents to decide if these books are appropriate for the school library. I also LOVE the idea of a restricted section (like in Harry Potter) that is for adults only and children have to get special permission to use.

I am really against the idea of banning books in libaries. When I was a kid you couldn't check out adult books until you were 13 (drove me crazy) so I had to use my Mum's card.
ReplyDeleteSally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-18.html
I agree, but I do think there is a difference between a public library and a school library. I'm ok with being more restrictive in a school library. Mostly I think it's up to the parents.
ReplyDeleteWhilst I agree that parents should be aware what kids are readng, I don't think it follows that children should be told what they can and can't read. Anything they want to, as long as they are preared to discuss it.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I agree with banning or restricting in any libraries. If anyone should be restricting my childrens access to books it should be me (which I am very unlikely to do.)
I get that, but I think that I would be pretty peeved if my 10 year old came home with 120 days of sodom. I think that in a school library, especially one that is used by elementary or middle schoolers, should have a more selective book collection. Parents cannot supervise their children at the school library like they can at the public library.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think that children should be told they are too young to read certain books. I would not allow my 10 year old to read Twilight either, even if it was really popular. I just think there should be awareness and care with with books parents let their children read.
Once the kid reaches high school, I think it's free game. Younger kids are able to handle more adult books, but I think that's more of a case by case basis. Not every 8th grader can handle Wuthering Heights.