Each week we will post a new top ten list complete with one of our bloggers' answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers in the comments.
Let me start by saying that I haven't lied about very many books. I usually admit if I haven't read a book (unless I'm getting graded on it) and I'm also not afraid to state my opinion on a book, though maybe if I have a negative opinion I might soften the blow a bit. Anyway, here's a list of the few books I can actually remember lying about.
TOP TEN BOOKS I HAVE LIED ABOUT
1. 1984 by George Orwell - I've never finished this book. I had to read it in high school and I got 3/4 of the way through it then lost my copy. I think I left it on the table at a Bob Evans...I never finished it for the class, which wasn't a big deal because we only worked on this book for about a week. I've since learned how it ends and while the ending sounds cool, I'm not sure I could ever get through that boring chunk in the middle (it's like a political pamphlet?).
2. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane - This is another book I was supposed to read for school and didn't finish. I remember being horribly bored and then mad because my class didn't even get to this book.
3. The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - I lie about how much I liked these books. I loved The Hobbit and I thought the movies were awesome, but I really didn't like the books at all. However, I feel like I need to like these books because I like the genre so much.
4. Whatever the Shitty Book I Had to Read My Freshman Year of College Was - This was the only book I've ever actually thrown in the garbage that wasn't damaged beyond all repair. It was that bad.
5. All Other Books by Jhumpa Lahiri Other Than The Namesake - I say that Jhumpa Lahiri is one of my favorite authors, but I've only read one book she's written. I think that in order to call an author your "favorite" author you need to read more than one of their books.
That's really all I can think of right now...

+JMJ+
ReplyDeleteI assigned Nineteen Eighty-Four to my class when I was teaching, and now I think I've made liars out of almost 200 girls. =P LOL!!!
PS--It's surprising to see how many times The Lord of the Rings has appeared on people's lists!