Friday, May 6, 2011

Paper Towns by John Green

Published in 2008 by Dutton Juvenile
5 Stars

Goodreads Review
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows.
 
After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

Printz medalist John Green returns with the brilliant wit and searing emotional honesty that have inspired a new generation of listeners.

Review: Paper Towns is an interesting look at obsessive teenage love and how our ideas of a person can become much grander than the person themselves.  This book tells the tale of a boy who discovers himself by searching for the girl of his dreams.  Only she isn't the girl of his dreams, she's Margo.  She has her own faults and shortcomings.  She is a real person, not a dream girl whose only purpose in life is to lead Quentin down the road of self understanding through her uncanny wisdom and quirky personality.  She is the anti manic pixie dream girl.  Paper Towns is romantic but honest portrayal of love, loss, and expectation. 

Paper Towns has many other wonderful aspects as well.  While rich in metaphor and contemplation, it also has a wonderful sense of humor with perfect timing delivered by an endearing supporting cast.  One thing I love about John Green's writing is the sprinkling of hilariously casual observations such as:

"I'm not saying that everything is survivable. Just that everything except the last thing is."

"Talking to a drunk person was like talking to an extremely happy, severely brain-damaged three-year-old."

"Traveling, I am finding, teaches you a lot of things about yourself. For instance, I never thought myself to be the kind of person who pees into a mostly empty bottle of Bluefin energy drink while driving through South Carolina at seventy-seven miles per hour - but in fact I am that kind of person."

It's in this voice that John Green truly stands out as a writer of his own class.  He can connect to the reader in such a friendly and self deprecating way that allows the reader to be in the moment of the book.  I believed that these were my friends, I was at my school, and I learned things about myself.  Paper Towns was a book that came full circle for this author.  In Looking for Alaska he uses MPDG as a plot device and in Paper Towns he breaks her apart and shows her faults. 

Overall Paper Towns is an amazing book about learning to look at yourself and others for who they really are, not what you wish they could be.  This book is a unique gem, and should not be missed.

"The fundamental mistake I had always made--and that she had, in fairness, always led me to make--was this: Margo was not a miracle. She was not an adventure. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment