Published in 2010 by Harper Teen
5 Stars
Goodreads Review
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
Review: The Iron King is an adorable take on many classic fairy tales and also invents some interesting new ones! This book is a wonderful mashup of old and new ideas that are mixed around and tossed in the oven to bake up a batch of awesomeness!
I really loved the use of existing mythology to create this entirely new world. I LOVE the idea behind the iron fey. Why they exist, how they live, what their world looks like, it's something I've never read before and it MADE SENSE. I also really liked what Kagawa did with the traditional fairy characters. Their personalities were vibrant and I felt like I was in their world. Kagawa does a wonderful job painting the picture of the magical realm. Her words are descriptive and fluid and her characters are charming. The Iron King is the first book of a series, but what's great is this book is a complete story in itself but also still alludes to a greater overall story that will connect the series.
Other aspects that I really loved were the supporting characters. I LOVED Grimalkin, he is SUCH a cat. I also loved Meghan's two love interests. I would have liked to see more of Puck and I'm hoping that he will make a great appearance in the following books. Ash is a great character, but why I always fall for the bad boys? He's got a heavy sense of duty to his realm, but you can tell that deep down he's not so bad as the rest of his family. I really appreciated the subtleness of the love triangle. Meghan didn't immediately fall in love with one boy or the other (or both for that matter). Kagawa took the time to establish the characters as individuals first, so that when feelings did develop they were believable.
The only criticism I have of this book is the lead character Meghan. She seemed very helpless for the entirety of the book. She is very weak and needs other people to take care of her. Meghan does have a couple clever moments, but most of the time she's frozen in fear. The most frustrating part is that I knew she had so much power inside of her, and it seemed like she was just too scared to use it. I'm hoping that in the coming books for this series she will grow into her ability and heritage and be more of the fighting-kick-ass-warrior-fairy-woman I know she can be.
Overall The Iron King is an excellent first installment in a series that pays tribute to the traditional fairy stories while creating a completely new world that is just as unique and magical.
Review: The Iron King is an adorable take on many classic fairy tales and also invents some interesting new ones! This book is a wonderful mashup of old and new ideas that are mixed around and tossed in the oven to bake up a batch of awesomeness!
I really loved the use of existing mythology to create this entirely new world. I LOVE the idea behind the iron fey. Why they exist, how they live, what their world looks like, it's something I've never read before and it MADE SENSE. I also really liked what Kagawa did with the traditional fairy characters. Their personalities were vibrant and I felt like I was in their world. Kagawa does a wonderful job painting the picture of the magical realm. Her words are descriptive and fluid and her characters are charming. The Iron King is the first book of a series, but what's great is this book is a complete story in itself but also still alludes to a greater overall story that will connect the series.
Other aspects that I really loved were the supporting characters. I LOVED Grimalkin, he is SUCH a cat. I also loved Meghan's two love interests. I would have liked to see more of Puck and I'm hoping that he will make a great appearance in the following books. Ash is a great character, but why I always fall for the bad boys? He's got a heavy sense of duty to his realm, but you can tell that deep down he's not so bad as the rest of his family. I really appreciated the subtleness of the love triangle. Meghan didn't immediately fall in love with one boy or the other (or both for that matter). Kagawa took the time to establish the characters as individuals first, so that when feelings did develop they were believable.
The only criticism I have of this book is the lead character Meghan. She seemed very helpless for the entirety of the book. She is very weak and needs other people to take care of her. Meghan does have a couple clever moments, but most of the time she's frozen in fear. The most frustrating part is that I knew she had so much power inside of her, and it seemed like she was just too scared to use it. I'm hoping that in the coming books for this series she will grow into her ability and heritage and be more of the fighting-kick-ass-warrior-fairy-woman I know she can be.
Overall The Iron King is an excellent first installment in a series that pays tribute to the traditional fairy stories while creating a completely new world that is just as unique and magical.

No comments:
Post a Comment