#1 in Nevermore Series
Published in 2010 by Atheneum
5 Stars
Goodreads Review
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game.
Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.
Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind.
Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.
His life depends on it.
Review: Nevermore is an interesting love story that starts off as more of a contemporary romance where opposites attract and ends in a crazy paranormal adventure that will leave the reader more than a little freaked out but still begging for more. Nevermore is a dark romance inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's life and writing that creates a unique and inventive novel.
My favorite part of Nevermore was the characters Isobel and Varen. I loved them on their own and I loved their relationship. I really liked Varen because he wasn't a perfect protector that loved Isobel to the point of being a freaky stalker. He was mysterious and sexy while still being real. There was no pretense that he was some amazing god-like savior and his attraction to Isobel was genuine without being melodramatic. Once he starts to let Isobel in you realize that a lot of Varen's scary goth exterior was more of a front and he had a very shy and sensitive personality. Plus I think goth boys are pretty sexy. I also really liked Isobel who was smart and independent and actually took action and tried to get some shit done. So many "heroines" in YA paranormal romances are damsels in distress who can barely stand up without the support of their heroic man. I loved how she did what she thought was right and didn't give into peer pressure even though it might hurt her social status.
The writing in Nevermore was very well done, especially the romantic tension. All of the buildup throughout the book was well executed, but I wanted more kissing! There was NOT ENOUGH making out for my taste (and we all know how much I love a hot make out session lol).
I really didn't like Isobel's family, especially her dad. He was really cool and normal except when it came to Varen. I didn't understand why he was so cool with her jerk-off ex boyfriend but immediately hated Varen when he didn't even know him. That drove me more than a little bonkerdoodles. I also didn't like the cliffhanger ending. Things took such a crazy turn in the last quarter of the book that I felt like there needed to be more of a well rounded ending so I wasn't left confused about what just happened. There's a difference between a cliff hanger ending that leaves me wanting to read more because I loved the book so much and a cliff hanger ending that leaves me wanting to read more because I had no idea what was going on for the past fifty pages.
Overall Nevermore is a unique love story that morphs into a very creepy paranormal adventure. Inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe, Nevermore is a Gothic romance you are sure to never forget.

This is one of those books I've been wanting to read for a while. Great review!
ReplyDeleteTia @ Falling For Books
ooh I love it! You should read it it's really good
ReplyDelete