Friday, November 4, 2011

Friday Face Off: The Mockingbirds and The Rivals by Daisy Whitney

Friday Face Off is a meme hosted by one of my favorite book bloggers Misty over at The Book Rat.  This is a double dip because not only am I going to show a new cover for The Rivals by Daisy Whitney but I'm also going to show the original covers vs. the new design.

Here is the ARC cover and final  hardcover for The Mockingbirds and the ARC cover for The Rivals:


I like these designs.  They don't say much about the story, but they are unique and really caught my eye.  I love the bold text, and I like the blue cover better than the red, it looks cleaner.  I especially loved the cover of The Rivals.  I thought the purple and green were really pretty and I love the doberman.  It make me even more interested in this series. 

Here are the new cover designs.  The first is the paperback of The Mockingbirds and the one on the left is the final cover design for The Rivals.


I have mixed feelings about these.  The original covers are a more sophisticated and adult design while these are firmly in the YA genre.I like that they look like pictures from the yearbook and that someone has written over the picture, like when someone signs your yearbook or you write BITCH over the head cheerleader (not saying all cheerleader are bitches, but I may or may not have done that...(ok I did)).  So while these covers probably have more to do with the actual story, I think they are less unique than the original covers.  The new covers look like every other YA book out there, so I would be less interested in reading them.  

And yet again another case of my hardback copy of the first book in a series not matching the rest of the series.  SO ANNOYING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment