Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday 11/1/2011: Top Ten Books I Had Strong Emotions Over




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.  This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish.  We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!



Each week we will post a new top ten list complete with one of our bloggers' answers.  Everyone is welcome to join.  All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating.  If you don't have a blog, just post your answers in the comments.



TOP TEN BOOKS I HAVE STRONG EMOTIONS OVER



1.  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling - This is my least favorite Harry Potter book, but it definitely gets me riled up.  Poor Harry just gets shit on for 800 pages.  Seriously, nothing good happens, and it makes me rage.  Also I bawled at the ending.  I'm not ashamed to admit it.  (Don't get me wrong I love all of Harry Potter, but he really couldn't catch a break in this one could he?)



2.  Life of Pi by Yann Martel - I expected to love this book.  It seemed like it would be right up by alley.  But no, I HATED IT.  This is one of my most hated books I've ever read.  And not because it's poorly written, but because I couldn't stand the pretentious nature of the book.  It was all like, ooh look at me, I'm full of symbolism and so deep and if you don't like me you just don't get it.  No I got it, you're just an idiot, so shut up.


3.  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - This book made me cry too, but out of just pure despair.  I am a sucker for WWII stories, and I loved how this showed that the Jewish people weren't the only victims from this horrible time.  A lot of German citizens were against the Nazi party as well, and I think we as a world culture tend to vilify all of Germany as this one mass of evil I think this book does an excellent job of showing the people on both sides of the fence.


4.  And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - I read this book as a little kid (around 8 maybe 9 years old?), and it was the first book that really just blew my mind.  I got to the ending and was just like WTF JUST HAPPENED!??  It remains one of my favorite books to this day, and in my opinion one of the best mystery books ever written.


5.  Feed by Mira Grant - This is an awesome zombie book.  I am a huge advocate for this book, and I encourage EVERYONE to read this.  It's that awesome.  And the ending?  wow.  I seriously did not expect to just cry the way I did, but man I just let it all out.  And yes, all of that emotion came from a zombie book.


That's really about it.  I can't think of ten because there are few books that create strong emotions in me so I didn't want to create a list where I tried to force out ten.  (I could get into religion books, but I'm not going to go there, I don't want to be too big of a douche.  Suffice it to say I have some strong opinions about certain religion books and if you really want to know you can email me)

No comments:

Post a Comment