4 Stars
Goodreads Review
A mysterious island.
An abandoned orphanage
.
A strange collection of very curious photographs.
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography,Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.
Review: Miss Peregrines is an excellent adventure story that is part historical, part fantasy, part art book, and 100% awesome! I loved the quirkiness and uniqueness and I wish it had been taken further. There is a little something for everyone; family drama, exciting adventures, weird magic, romance.
First let's talk about the photographs. I really like it when books include pictures, illustrations, and other visual clues that help support the plot. Heck I geek out when there's a map on the inside cover of a fantasy book. I think it enhances the entire reading experience, and the weird photographs in Miss Peregrine's certainly did just that. It gets especially creepy when you realize that these photographs are unaltered. They are genuine weird-o photographs that Riggs found. Taking it a step further I loved the entire package of the book. The book has a unique binding, the paper it's printed on is high quality and glossy, the cover is a beautiful red cloth with gold embossed letters, and the paper used on the inside covers is like an antique photo album. The entire presentation of the book lends to the atmosphere.
The good parts of this book were the villains and their mythology. I liked how they were revealed and the horror aspect to them. These villains were monsters and there was no ambiguity to their monstrosity, and in this day and age of sparkly vampires and sexy werewolves, I found it refreshing. I don't want to give away too much about these characters because they are what makes the book so interesting.
I would say that at times this book feels a little over-written, especially for a YA book. Sometimes the photos, as awesome as they were, felt a little forced into the story as opposed to supporting the experience. This isn't a negative necessarily, but I think sometimes the writing got in the way of the story telling. I think that it does rely heavily on the appearance of the book and listening to the audio would severely detract from the experience. Rigg's strength is definitely in visual media, have you SEEN the trailer for this book? It's beautiful and is at such a higher quality than other book trailers it's in a league of it's own.
Overall Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a visually unique and pleasing book with a story that almost matches. I wish the story and characters had been as well rounded as the beautiful presentation of the book, but it is still an exciting and interesting read. I am looking forward to the sequel as well as his photography book "Talking Pictures" set to be published in January 2012.
Review: Miss Peregrines is an excellent adventure story that is part historical, part fantasy, part art book, and 100% awesome! I loved the quirkiness and uniqueness and I wish it had been taken further. There is a little something for everyone; family drama, exciting adventures, weird magic, romance.
First let's talk about the photographs. I really like it when books include pictures, illustrations, and other visual clues that help support the plot. Heck I geek out when there's a map on the inside cover of a fantasy book. I think it enhances the entire reading experience, and the weird photographs in Miss Peregrine's certainly did just that. It gets especially creepy when you realize that these photographs are unaltered. They are genuine weird-o photographs that Riggs found. Taking it a step further I loved the entire package of the book. The book has a unique binding, the paper it's printed on is high quality and glossy, the cover is a beautiful red cloth with gold embossed letters, and the paper used on the inside covers is like an antique photo album. The entire presentation of the book lends to the atmosphere.
The good parts of this book were the villains and their mythology. I liked how they were revealed and the horror aspect to them. These villains were monsters and there was no ambiguity to their monstrosity, and in this day and age of sparkly vampires and sexy werewolves, I found it refreshing. I don't want to give away too much about these characters because they are what makes the book so interesting.
I would say that at times this book feels a little over-written, especially for a YA book. Sometimes the photos, as awesome as they were, felt a little forced into the story as opposed to supporting the experience. This isn't a negative necessarily, but I think sometimes the writing got in the way of the story telling. I think that it does rely heavily on the appearance of the book and listening to the audio would severely detract from the experience. Rigg's strength is definitely in visual media, have you SEEN the trailer for this book? It's beautiful and is at such a higher quality than other book trailers it's in a league of it's own.
Overall Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a visually unique and pleasing book with a story that almost matches. I wish the story and characters had been as well rounded as the beautiful presentation of the book, but it is still an exciting and interesting read. I am looking forward to the sequel as well as his photography book "Talking Pictures" set to be published in January 2012.

No comments:
Post a Comment