#1 in Perfect Chemistry SeriesPublished in 2008 by Walker Books for Young Readers
3 Stars
Goodreads Review
A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.
Review: Perfect Chemistry is a modern day West Side Story. It's a classic tale of two star crossed lovers from opposite sides of the tracks defying social norms to be together.
I really enjoyed the beginning of the book, when Alex and Brittany both had preconceived notions about each other's motivations. I liked that as the reader I had insider knowledge and knew just how wrong each was about the other. I also really enjoyed some of their sweeter moments as Brittany and Alex learned the truth about each other (the wedding scene in particular was excellent). I also really enjoyed Alex's relationship with his family and how he tried to protect them from the gang while still appearing loyal. He walked a fine line, and it was really interesting to read.
There were a few parts of the books that weren't bad, but did leave me a little disappointed. Once Alex and Brittany recognized they liked each other it got a little cheesy and cliche for my taste. I tend to be a pretty cynical person so sometimes I didn't fully believe the character's motivations. Also Alex is in a gang but I didn't feel like there was enough gang violence. Gangs are really serious, and I can't help but feel there should have been more intimidating Alex into doing more bad things. I didn't feel like the gang was as in control of Alex as they should have been. And let me just say that I know this book is YA, but this is a romance people, I needed a little more in the sex scenes! Lots of good making out, not enough doing it.
The one thing that bumped this review down from a 4 star to a 3 star is the epilogue. I felt like the book had a good, concise ending until I read the epilogue. That took the book into ridiculously perfect happily ever after territory and I just couldn't take it seriously anymore.
Now don't get me wrong. I still really enjoyed this book, I just think it wasn't quite what I was expecting. So many people raved about it so I think I set myself up for failure. Perfect Chemistry is a great book for people looking for a forbidden love/Romeo and Juliet type story.
No comments:
Post a Comment