Published March 9, 2010 by Dial
4 Stars
Goodreads Review
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide I world exploding.
This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.
Review: I read The Sky is Everywhere because my friend Gabrielle Carolina over at The Mod Podge Bookshelf really loves this book, and I can totally see why. By far the best thing about The Sky is Everywhere is the writing. WOW. Nelson's writing style is one of the most compelling and unique of any that I've experienced in YA. The story itself isn't uncommon, a girl loses her sister and is trying to put her life back together after her death, but it is the way in which this story is present that makes it so special. I could completely relate to Lennie, even though I have never gone through the tragedy of losing a sibling and best friend, how Nelson writes Lennie's thoughts make her totally relatable, hilarious, and heart breaking. Also, I loved the note convention used at the beginning and end of the chapters. I loved that the poems were printed on paper, cups, wrappers, trees, whatever was around. I love visuals in books and these really lend to the story and make it way interesting.
I also could totally understand why Lennie has feelings towards two different people. With Toby she's looking for someone who can understand her pain and make it go away. It's not so much that she actually loves Toby, quite the opposite she has tremendous feelings of guilt, but at the same time she is drawn to the person who can understand.
And then there's Joe. Let me just say that a man who can play an instrument well is dead sexy. He's the boy who can actually help heal her. I think it's so important that he moved to town after Bailey's death. He doesn't know pre-death Lennie, and loves her as she is now. I loved how he helped draw the music out of her and healed her with his. He helps her accept what happened and helps her see that life will go on and that she can go on, not forgetting her sister, but remembering all of the beautiful lessons she taught. (My only criticism of Joe is that he fell in crazy love with Lennie a little too fast. I would have liked to see the beginning stages a little more, so the healing love they experienced at the end would have been more supported).
Overall The Sky is Everywhere is a beautifully written book about losing a loved one and finding out that love can heal. (Word to the wise, the UK hardcover edition has full colored photos of Lennie's poems. I really wish I could get my hands on a copy, if anyone knows where I can buy it, please comment!)

No comments:
Post a Comment