Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Top Ten Tuesday 1/8/2013: Reading and Writing Goals for 2013
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
This week we're talking about our 2013 goals and boy do I have some! I'm actually really excited to start working on my new goals and I hope all of my blog readers/youtube viewers enjoy the changes I'll be making in the coming months.
Blogging and Youtube
1. Review as I read and/or monthly TBR and wrap up. For this blog I will continue to review individual books, but I want to be more on top of my reviews and would really like to review a book before starting a new one. For my youtube channel I think I'm going to stop doing individual reviews (unless I really want to talk about something specific) and instead do monthly wrap ups. I think in the film format it's easier to just do quick summaries. This will also free up more time for goal number 2...
2. Edit my videos! I've decided to make a greater effort to use my nice camera and take some time to actually edit. This will cut down on video length and make them more cohesive.
3. Do more discussion topics. I really enjoy when people talk about different trends or tropes they see in literature. I think it would be fun to start doing different discussions, not just reviews and memes. I'm thinking once a month.
4. Movie, Video Game, and TV reviews! Not only do I love to read, I also love movies and video games. In fact I saw 20 movies in the theaters last year and I bought I think around 15 video games. I want to start doing reviews on some of my other interests too, so be on the lookout!
Reading
1. Read 50 books this year. I know this is a severe drop from the previous couple of years, but there are a few reasons for only reading 50. Lately I've been reading in spurts. I'll get burned out and not read anything for a month, get behind in my mammoth reading goal, then scramble to catch up. It's exhausting and I don't want to put so much pressure on myself over a hobby that I'm supposed to enjoy. I'm hoping to read about a book a week, not get burned out, and to make reading enjoyable.
2. Utilize my Kindle. I'm making a goal to buy all new/debut books on my kindle unless I'm purchasing the next book in a series that I already own in hardback/paperback. The reason for this is not so much cost driven, it's about space. Or my quickly shrinking space. I just don't have enough room in my apartment for more physical books! So my goal is to only buy physical copies if I'm continuing a series because I don't like mixing format (once I start a series in hardback, they all have to be in hardback. It's a pet peeve).
3. Don't abuse netgalley! I admit it, my eyes are much bigger than my reading capability and I often request ALL THE THINGS on netgalley. However, I've barely read a fifth of what I've been approved. This isn't fair to the publishers, authors, or other bloggers so one of my biggest goals is to catch up on all of my netgalley requests and only request the books I really want to read.
Writing
1. Write/Read for 30 minutes a day. I want to get really serious about my writing. I have a bunch of ideas that I think would make fantastic novels, but I don't have any discipline to sit down every day and write. So that's my main goal, I have a couple of different books that will help me be organized with my writing and I'll let you guys all know how it goes!
Other Life Goals (aka fitness goals lol)
1. Do the Insanity workout program in it's entirety. Shawn-T's Insanity program is probably the best workout DVD system I've ever experienced. I've never fully committed to the program though so I've made it one of my goals for the year.
2. Participate in the Run for your Lives 5k. One of the main motivators for me to do Insanity is this obstacle 5k. There are a lot of "mudder" races out there, but this one has actors that dress up like zombies! It's like an obstacle course and flag football with zombies, and it looks fantastic.
3. Do the Color Run without stopping. Last year I did the color run (my first 5k ever) and while I finished, I had to walk some of it. I had a complete blast and really want to do it again, but this time I want to run it without walking.
So those are my basic goals for 2013! I think these changes will be fantastic and I'm very excited! What are your goals and resolutions for 2013? Post in the comments and let me know!
Labels:
top ten tuesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You have some awesome goals for 2013. I definitely agree with you on 'abusing' netgalley, my eyes are always bigger than my reading capability =). Good luck with your goals.
ReplyDeleteAnge @ Moonlight Reader
My TTT
haha Thanks Ange! That's a huge one for me, Netgalley is such an awesome service and I'm just a bad blogger :(
ReplyDelete