Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Top Books I Read in 2012

2012 is officially over!  I am very excited for 2013, I have a lot of plans and changes for my blog and especially my youtube channel.  Before I dive into my new years blog-olutions let's take a look back and discuss my top reads for 2012.  This is a kind of sorta Top Ten Tuesday but a couple weeks late.


8.  The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth - I think The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a very important addition to the YA LGBT literature.  This book is beautifully written, touching, and most importantly a balanced story that doesn't vilify any one character but gives them all honest and well rounded perspectives.


7.  Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews -  I have two different cancer books on my list this year and Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is definitely the more irreverent of the two.  It's crass and rude for sure, but there's also a really interesting message that had me pondering illness, death, and society's perception and expectations surrounding disease. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl may not be a comfortable read, but it is an honest one (brutally so).


6.  Velveteen by Daniel Marks - I absolutely LOVE Velveteen Monroe.  She's a great character that has a lot of depth.  I really want to read more of her story and see her growth.  Velveteen sets up a really interesting and unique world and I really want to read more of this story.


5.  The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa - This book is just cool.  I love the dystopian world and these vampires are legit.  I really enjoyed the mythology and world building.  This is like Daybreakers meets The Book of Eli, which in my opinion is a pretty awesome combination.


4.  Graceling by Kristen Cashore - Graceling is one of the best YA high fantasies I have ever read.  This is a great introduction to high fantasy for younger readers and I also really appreciated the sex positive message.  We need more of this is YA (and literature in general).


3.  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - Are you really surprised to see this on here?  Really?  The Fault in Our Stars is John Green's best book to date and is well deserving of all of the success and praise (not to mention being on the New York Times best seller's list since release and being named Time magazine's #1 best book of 2012).  This book is beautiful and will definitely be re-read in 2013.

2.  Cinder by Marissa Meyer - Cinder is a brilliant re-telling of a very well known story.  Marissa Meyer manages to make of the the most popular fairy tales of all time fresh and new and surprising, which is no easy feat.  The second book in the series, Scarlet, comes out in February so I hope to re-read this in January!


1.  Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor - Oh my goodness you guys, this book is amazing.  The Daugher of Smoke and Bone series is quickly becoming one of the best series I have ever read.  Laini Taylor kicks it wayyy up a notch and WOW.  Days of Blood and Starlight just punched me right in the stomach with all of the feels.  It is amazing and I am a sucky person for not reviewing it yet (it's coming I promise!).

So that's it!  Those are the very best books I read in 2012.  What is on your list?



No comments:

Post a Comment