Monday, July 16, 2012

Graceling by Kristen Cashore

#1 in the Graceling Realm series
Published October 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
5 Stars

Goodreads Review
Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.     When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po’s friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace—or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

     With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.


Review:  Graceling is hands down one of the best examples of YA high fantasy I've ever read.  It is action packed, well thought out, and never got static or predictable.  There is a great foundation set in the world building that really allows the characters to shine. 

I really believe that good high fantasy is based on good geography;.  When you write high fantasy, you're creating an entire new world, and how that world works is based upon their geography.  Coastal countries should have port cities, colder regions can trade furs and game, warmer regions grains and fruits. There are going to be areas that have better advantages in war because of a river placement or a mountain range.  There are going to be different cultures, economies, governments, religions, and dialects, and can get very confusing all on its own even without adding in a magical element.  I think Graceling handles all of these elements well while still keeping it simple enough for younger readers.

I also really enjoyed the main characters, Katsa and Po.  I loved the growth that Katsa goes through and I like how their relationship develops.  I LOVE how Katsa takes charge of her life and decides that she will have lovers without marriage.  In medieval settings it's rare to find a woman who is open about this kind of sexual arrangement and who really takes control of her life (I'm thinking of the women in Game of Thrones) which makes Katsa even that more refreshing in the fantasy genre.  I also loved Po.  I thought he was what a YA love interest should be, supportive, understanding, and a hottie (that goes without saying though).  Po isn't perfect, he has his own insecurities and short comings, but he never tries to dominate Katsa and I really like the dynamic the two have (plus Cashore doesn't sky away from the sexy times which is AWESOME).

Overall Graceling is everything that everyone has been telling me, exciting, interesting, intelligent, and totally awesome.  I highly recommend this novel as one of the best high fantasy novels in the YA genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment