#1 in Kate Grable series
Published July 12, 2011 by Delacorte Press
4 Stars - DAC 2011
Goodreads Review
Someone's been a very bad zombie.
Kate Grable is horrified to find out that the football coach has given the team steroids. Worse yet, the steroids are having an unexpected effect, turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless flesh-eating zombies. No one is safe--not her cute crush Aaron, not her dorky brother, Jonah . . . not even Kate!
She's got to find an antidote--before her entire high school ends up eating each other. So Kate, her best girlfriend, Rocky, and Aaron stage a frantic battle to save their town. . . and stay hormonally human.
Review: Let me start off by saying I freaking LOVE zombies. They're my favorite horror genre, and I am very protective of them. I'll pretty much read or watch anything that has to do with zombies, but I'm also extremely critical. With that said, Bad Taste in Boys is a super cute zombie read (how often do you get to say that?). I'd say it's more of a middle grade book that is great for kids who want to read a zombie book but don't want to read anything too scary.
There are lots of cliches and over-the-top dramatics, but I still really enjoyed this book. I think if you go into Bad Taste in Boys wanting a serious and scientific book you will be sadly disappointed. I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did because I am usually a huge stickler for proper science in a zombie novel. I would recommend taking this book for what it is, fun and light hearted. Don't try and read too much into it or think too hard about how ridiculous the science is. Just go with it.
Overall Bad Taste in boys is a silly little zombie romp. Definitely more Shaun of the Dead then Dawn of the Dead. There are some great quotes from the book, and one of my favorites is “Excuse me if I feel skeptical,' I said. 'Coach's foot fell off. How exactly do you propose to cure that? Superglue?”. LOL!
Bad Taste in Boys is the first in a series, with the second book Bad Hair Day set to come out November 2012. I will definitely be reading the next one!

No comments:
Post a Comment