Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How To Book Review!




I've gotten some requests to do a few posts on reviewing, negative reviews, online etiquette, ect.  I thought I would start off with some general reviewing tips.  This is what I try and put in my review and what I like to see when reading others.
  1. Include Cover Art - Seeing the cover art in the review helps create a visual clue for readers.  I may not remember the title or author, but in the book shop I'll see a cover and go "oh yeah!  I read about that on a blog, it sounded awesome!" 

  2. Publishing Information - I like to include the publisher, the publishing date, if the book is part of a series, and if I got a copy for review.  This becomes important information as your blog starts to get more of a following.  It helps readers keep track of what different publishers have coming out and also let's them know the release date if you're reading it in advance. 

  3. To Rate or Not to Rate - There is some debate over whether a rating system (five stars, A+, ect) is necessary.  I personally appreciate a rating system when I can sort the reviews by the various levels to see the trends.  I like to see what a blogger would rate 1 star vs 5 stars, an F vs an A.  Ultimately using a rating scale is up to you, and it never hurts to have a legend explaining your particular system.

  4. Don't Just Summarize - Please don't just post a synopsis of the plot.  You should include one for sure (I just copy mine from goodreads or the back of the book, but you can put yours in your own words if you want), but also say what it is that you liked or didn't like about the book.  Take some time to express your own opinions about the story, not just what it is. 

  5. Analyze - This goes along with #4, but I like to think about what the objective of the book was, and how effectively the author achieved that goal.  For example, say I'm reading a contemporary romance.  Do I find myself swooning over the main love interest and yelling at the protagonist when she's too shy to say how she feels?  I'd say that a successful romance.  Or am I rolling my eyes at their stupid decisions and feeling the need to throw the book across the room?  Then I'd say maybe not so much. 

  6. Be a Fangirl, Unless You're Not - If you just LOVED THIS BOOK OMG YOU GUYS!!!! don't be afraid to post a review like that!  If a book made you squeal with delight and do happy dances and fist pump in victory, let your readers know!  I know I've totally fangirled over a couple of different books and I think those kinds of posts are super fun....if it's not EVERY book you've ever read.  If every review is just gushing about how awesome a book is, people may write you off as being a fluffy kiss-ass or someone who can't read critically.  If you didn't like a book so much, even if that books has a huge following, don't be afraid to say so.  It's totally ok to go against the flow, and if you're lukewarm about something, go ahead and say why.

  7. You Don't Have to Review Everything - It's true you know.  If you read a book and just don't have much to say about it, feel free to not review it.  If you're given a book for review, especially unsolicited, you don't have to read and review it if you don't think you'll like it or just won't have time.  I would encourage you all to pass the review copy along to someone who would review it (just don't sell it, that's BAD).  Ultimately this is your blog and your reviews, so you get to decide what you want to post.

  8. Don't be a Dick - You can write a negative review without being a jerk.  I love reading snarky reviews, especially on books that I didn't enjoy, but I don't like reviews that just bash the book needlessly.  Explain why you don't like a book, don't just say it's a POS and the author is an idiot for writing it.  Never attack the author!  You don't know them, and they may be a wonderful and lovely person, even if they wrote a book you hated.  Keep the review on the book, and feel free to tear the book apart if you want, just don't make it personal.

  9. For the Love of God, Don't Plagiarize! - I wish this could go without saying, but plagiarism is a serious problem in the blogging world.  I recommend writing your review before reading other people's, that way your thoughts will be your own.  I cannot stress this enough, if you copy someone else's review or article (and just changing the formatting, some sentence structure, or a few adjectives is still plagiarism by the way) you WILL be found out.  Someone will recognize the copied content and the original blogger will be told.  I've been plagiarized myself, and trust me it is a pain in the ass for all parties involved, so save yourself some trouble and just don't do it. 

    Oh and you can plagiarize images too, so if you're looking for icons or whatever search for copyright free or stock images.  Don't just copy from a blog if you don't have permission because they may have purchased those images.

  10. Be Honest, Be Yourself - Above all else, be yourself.  Don't try and emulate someone else, don't try and be what you think publishers/authors/fellow bloggers want you to be. Review because it's what you love doing and be the person you love being. 
Ultimately I think the best reviews are ones where honest opinions are shared.  Say what you liked, what you didn't like, and how the book made you feel.  Fangirl if you want, be a hater if you want, but above all else be real.

4 comments:

  1. I'm working on starting my own blog and this is so helpful, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Good luck with your blog! I also wrote a top ten tuesday about tips for new bloggers, you might want to check that out too.

      http://pearlthebookgirl.blogspot.com/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-4172012-top-ten-tips.html

      Delete
  2. Very good tips, concise and smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really helps! Thank you! :0 I just check out your Tips for being a good booktuber! Awesome! Very straight forward.

    ReplyDelete