Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 4/10/2012: Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.  This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish.  We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new top ten list complete with one of our bloggers' answers.  Everyone is welcome to join.  All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating.  If you don't have a blog, just post your answers in the comments.


Long time no see huh?  I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday since January!  But this week's topic was too good to pass up.


TOP TEN BOOKS THAT WERE TOTALLY DECEIVING (AKA COVER FRAUD)

1.  Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon - I love this cover, it is just beautiful.  Sadly the story inside is not so much.










2.  Across the Universe by Beth Revis  - This cover is GORGEOUS!  I seriously love it so much.  But that's about where the love of this book ends sadly.










3.  Wither by Lauren DeStefano - Sometimes I feel alone in this, but I didn't really like Wither.  The cover is amazingly beautiful, but the book fell completely flat.

4.  The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - This book had SO MUCH HYPE.  Seriously, I was quivering with anticipation once this cover was revealed.  Too bad I didn't really like the book :(

5.  Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - It's no secret that I HATE this cover with a burning passion.  I didn't read this series for the longest time because of the terrible covers.  But once I got over my prejudice and actually read the book I fell in literary love.

6.  Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick - I love the sexy man cover of Hush, Hush, but the book?  Not so much.

7.  Divergent by Veronica Roth - I have to be honest, I really don't like the cover of Divergent.  If there hadn't been a lot of hype I'm not sure I would have picked it up.  Now that I know more about the story I like the cover a lot more, but if I were coming to it knowing nothing?  I would pass it by.

 8.  Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor - I really dislike this cover, it does nothing for me.  However, I really freaking loved this book!  Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the best paranormal romance I've ever read.
 9.  Tris & Izzie by Bette Ive Harrison - This cover is stunning, but Tris & Izzie may be the worst book I've ever read.  Ever.
10.  The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa - I loved the covers of the first three books in the Iron Fey series, but The Iron Knight cover is nowhere near as good (though I do like the fact that Puck is on the back).  However, The Iron Knight is my favorite book of the series! 

7 comments:

  1. I thought about putting the Iron Knight on my list too, I didn't care for the cover much either but it was my fav, book

    MY TTT: http://youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com/

    your newest follower,

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I just found your blog and started following it. I think i might have to start doing this meme because there are so many books that the covers were great but the story was not so much and vise versa. Though I didn't mind Hush Hush, I do agree with you. The cover looked very enticing but the compared to the cover, the story didn't live up to the excitement. If you get a chance, stop by my blog, http://ramblingsofabibliophiliac.blogspot.com/. Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it does go to show you not to judge a book by it's cover, when the worst books are the ones with amazing covers! I love the covers of Hush, Hush and Carrier of the Mark but have heard less than amazing thoughts on both. D:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! You didn't like Across the Universe? I've been wanting to read that for so long. Maybe I'll shift it down in my TBR list and shift up the Vampire Academy series. I've been seeing Rachel Mead's books on a lot of lists as hidden gems today!

    New follower BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to get around to reading Divergent, I've heard so many good things about it. Wonderful post! New follower :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure just about every review of Tris & Izzie that I've read has been negative, or at the very least lukewarm. I'm a little curious to know how bad it has to be to get that kind of response O_O Although probably not curious enough to actually read it!

    Also, don't worry, you're not alone in not being wowed by Wither! I know some other bloggers reacted the same way – personally, I felt very mixed about the book. I thought certain things were done well, like the portrayal of the "sister wives" situation, but I definitely had some issues with it too.

    ReplyDelete