Monday, June 27, 2011

Fave Reads of 2011 - The Characters


Here is day two of the three day meme hosted over at inkcrush that discusses our favorite books that we've met at the half way point of the year. Today it's all about characters.  Who we like, who we didn't, and why.

1. best female POV
I really liked reading Tris's transformation in Divergent. I love it when she starts to learn who she is and that it's ok to follow her instincts and be true to herself.  

2. best male POV
I really enjoyed both of the Will Graysons. I liked straight Will a little more I think, but both of the characters are interesting and I love readings books with more than one person's perspective. I think their dynamic in sharing the same name is really interesting.

3. Best couple <3 
I love Dash and Lily.  I love how romantic their relationship is.  It's something that I daydream about happening to me.  I love that they are both nerdy kids who are as into the adventure as I am.

4. who i so want to be best friends with
I have to go back to Will Grayson, Will Grayson and say that Tiny Cooper and I would get along smashingly.

5 . who i fell completely in love with (new literary crush)

Oh Varen.  I love him so much with his gothy outside and lovable (if slightly emo) inside.  I also LOVE the sexual tension in this book, it's very well done.

6. worst (best) villain
My choice is Vaughn from Wither.  He does some really shitty things to try and save his son, who isn't all that worth saving anyway.  He is willing to do anything to reach his goals, and that includes some sick things.

7. best character twist (who you loved then hated or vice versa)

I'm going to say Ash from The Iron King.  At first I thought he was going to be that sexy yet oh so dangerous creep that so many girls seem to fall for in paranormal romance.  But as the book went on I realized that Ash is a much more likable character than he first lets on, and I ended up switching from team Puck to team Ash.  I am really excited to see if he lives up to my expectations in The Iron Daughter.

8. best kick-arse female
There are a lot of kick ass girls in YA literature, but I really love Saba and Emmi from Blood Red Road.  I love how they learn to survive and they also learn how to love each other.  I like how they have flaws and make mistakes, but they still care about each other and will do anything to protect one another.  No matter how annoying they are.

9. best kick-arse male
Definitely Dmitri from Vampire Academy series.  Hands Down.  He's tall, dark, and RUSSIAN.  Talk about sexy.  I love his relationship with Rose, it never gets annoying (which it has a lot of potential to do).  I also really love the sexy time in the first book.  That is exceptionally written, really awesome ;) 

10. broke your heart the most
All hate crimes are terrible, horrible things.  But I have a particular rage for hate crimes against homosexuals.  It makes me so mad that people can be so ignorant, and be full of so much hate just because someone loves differently.  What happens to Patrick and Cat in this book is horrifying and the fact that no one came to their defense and stood up for them is unacceptable.  

 11. best/worst character names

Best:
  
Alaska Young from Looking for Alaska.  I love the name Alaska, and I love how she came to be named Alaska.  I think it's beautiful.


Worst:
The main guy's name is Patch.  Patch.

Runner up:  Peeta from The Hunger Games.  His Name is Peeta.  He's a baker.  Peeta makes bread.  Peeta Bread.....


BONUS: 5 fave covers (from books i have read)


Wither by Lauren DeStefano
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Feed by Mira Grant
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

4 comments:

  1. oh i LOVE the covers you chose :) (especially WITHER and FEED)

    and i have WILL GRAYSON on my shelf but keep not being in the mood for it or something :/

    LOVED reading your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should really read Will Grayson, I love that book so much! It's got a really great sense of humor, and since I also love musicals it was a really great fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second time I've seen Patch's name mentioned - couldn't stand it myself. and i love Alaska as a name. LOVE it!!! There are a few here that I really want to read - like Shine. Just waiting for my library to get it in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I switched from Team Puck to Team Ash, too! I really didn't like Ash in The Iron Daughter, but I LOVED him in The Iron Queen.

    ReplyDelete