Thursday, May 24, 2012

Purity by Jackson Pearce

Published April 24, 2012 by Little Brown Books for Young Readers
4 Stars

Goodreads Review
A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.

Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.


Review:  I read Sisters Red, Jackson's first book, last year and was underwhelmed.  It was hard to say exactly why, but I just didn't connect to the story like I wanted.  But Purity is a very different story from Sisters Red, and I think Jackson Pearce should write more contemporary stories, her voice translates excellently.  Purity is a fantastic story about love, faith, and freedom, plus I'm a sucker for father daughter stories :)

Purity handles the topics of death, sexuality, and religion with a gentle grace. Shelby, the main character, is an interesting heroine.  Her motivations are difficult to understand in the beginning, but as you listen to her rationalize her decisions and we being to learn more about her relationship with her mother you start to understand why she does what she does.  I liked the growth the character displayed and the questions that she raised.  I think it's very important for people to question the religion you're raised in and to make sure that you follow what you truly believe, not just what you are taught. 

The best part of Purity is the development of Shelby's relationship with her father.  I think her dad was my favorite character, and there were some adorable and terribly awkward interactions that made him completely endearing.  His attempts at a sex talk and doling out punishments were particularly hilarious. 

Purity packs a lot into just over 200 pages.  There are a lot of questions raised that I think every person should think about in their own life.  It's a lighter book with a lot of humor, but with some important messages as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment