Published September 29, 2011 by Dutton
5 Stars
Goodreads Review
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.
When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.
Review: How have I not reviewed this yet!? Mega fail on my part! I read Stephanie Perkins's other book, Anna and the French Kiss, and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't in OMG LUV like so many other readers. Well, I can say that with Lola there was a lot of OMG LUV. Much more than with Anna.
Firstly let's discuss this PERFECT cover. This is what all book covers should be, a reflection of the story within. We know exactly what this book is about because of the cover. We know it's about a girl with a cool fashion sense, the setting is in San Francisco, and we even get Cricket's bracelet/writing on his hands habit and that their relationship is based around their bedroom windows (they're sitting on a window sill).
There are so many aspects of Lola that I love. I really enjoyed Lola's zaney fashion sense. I am not like that at all (I'm such a tomboy) so it was fun to live vicariously through Lola. I also loved the setting and her family situation. It's so refreshing to see a same sex couple in a completely normal life. Her dads are regular dads, they live normal lives and react like any father would. I have to give major props to Stephanie Perkins for making Lola's parents an important and stable part of her life. I also loved how Lola is a companion novel to Anna, and we get to see some of the characters we love from Anna, but from a completely different perspective.
One of the best things about this book was how I could relate to every character. I have been in Lola, Cricket, and Max's positions in different relationships. I've been in a relationship that isn't working and gotten feelings for someone else, I've been head over heels for someone with a girlfriend, and I've also suspected a boyfriend of cheating (and I think he probably did) and turned into a green-eyed jealous monster. It almost felt like this book was my love life in novel form lol.
Ok now let's talk about Cricket. Oh Cricket, you are soooo my type (way more than St. Clair). Let's see. Tall and dark? Check. Engineering and Science? Check. Shy in a you-don't-know-you're-beautiful way? Check. Hopelessly romantic? Check. Cricket is everything I look for in a YA romantic interest and he totally captured my heart. Lola and Cricket's relationship is believable, it's a slow building love, and it seems completely real. (Writing this review some 8 months after reading it makes me want to pick Lola back up again! Oh why do I have so little time...)

No comments:
Post a Comment