Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 2012 New Reads

Here are some of the YA books and debuts set for May of 2012.  This isn't a complete list, just some of the ones I'm interested in.  I hope you enjoy!

May 1
Bitterblue by Kristin Chashore
#3 in the Seven Kingdoms Series

Why I'm Excited:  This may be one of the most coveted ARCs of 2012, and I am fortunate enough to have won one from goodreads!  I have only heard rave reviews for Graceling and Fire and now with this ARC I know I have to read this series.




Body and Soul by Stacey Kade
#3 in the A Ghost and the Goth Series 

Why I'm Excited:  This series just looks so stinking cute!  I have the first two books but haven't started this series yet.  I think these look like good summer reads, so maybe I'll pick them up to read by the pool!





Elemental by Emily White
DAC

Why I'm Excited:  The cover and the brief description give Elemental a very mysterious feel.  I love how the cover model doesn't have hair, it makes her look like an alien or supernatural being and I love it.





Insurgent by Veronica Roth
#2 in the Divergent Series

Why I'm Excited:  Come on, do I even have to say?  Divergent was one of my favorite books of 2011, so of course I'm so excited for the next book in the series.







The Weepers: The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker
#1 in The Other Life series
DAC

Why I'm Excited:  So I'm pretty sure the American cover is on the right, but what originally drew me to this book was the UK cover (on the left), which was released back in February. The story sounds a little bit like the Fallout video games, which is totally ok in my book!


 Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready
#3 in the Shade series

Why I'm Excited:  I've heard a lot of really good things about Shade and Shift, and even though I really dislike this cover, I'm still really intrigued by the story. 


When You Were Mine Rebecca Serle
DAC

Why I'm Excited:  I really like the spin on Romeo and Juliet that When You Were Mine takes.  It's told from the perspective of Rosaline, the girl Romeo was in love with before he met Juliet.  I'm a little worried about how this story will be handled, but I really want to read it and find out.


City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
#5 in The Mortal Instruments Series

Why I'm Excited:  Well I've only read City of Bones, the first book in the series and wasn't that impressed, this series is too popular for me to give up on yet.  I don't know if I'll get to this book before dropping the series, but as of now I'm excited to read more!


Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Why I'm Excited:  This book sounds like the perfect book for Fairytale Fortnight hosted by Misty at The Book Rat.  I think this might be an interpretation of the frog prince fairytale?  That sounds rather difficult to pull off, so I'm excited to see what will be done!

Endure by Carrie Jones
#4 in the Need series

Why I'm Excited:  I've heard lots of good things about the Need series.  It's romance and pixies and all out end of the world war!  That and the beautiful covers really drew me to this series.

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock
#1 in the Hemlock Series
DAC

Why I'm Excited:  This is a werewolf story that I might actually like!  I haven't found many just werewolf books that work for me, but I really like the murder mystery aspect of this story and I'm excited to see where it will go.

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Why I'm Excited:  I've hear so many good things about Amy and Roger's Epic Detour that Matson's sophomore book sounds just as good.  It sounds a bit like a crying book (it's about a dad with cancer) but I think it will be a perfect summer read.

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
#1 in the Struck series
DAC

Why I'm Excited:  While I'm not 100% sold on the lightning aspect, I love the apocalyptic natural disaster that is the catalyst for doomsday cults.  I'm sure this story will be exciting and will probably have more than one twist.

Until I Die by Amy Plum
#2 in the Revenants series

Why I'm Excited:  This sounds like you're stereotypical paranormal romance, and you know what?  Sometimes that's exactly what I need.

As Dead as it Gets by Katie Alender
#3 in the Bad Girls Don't Die series

Why I'm Excited:  I read Bad Girls Don't Die and thoroughly enjoyed the lighter though still creepy as hell story.  I'm interested in reading the rest of the series and finding out what other crazy situations Alexis will find herself in.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
DAC

Why I'm Excited:  I initially was attracted to the UK cover, pictured on the left, which came out in February.  I love the spy story, and I like how it will be revealed in a flashback format.  It sounds like a really interesting historical read.


May 22

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
DAC

Why I'm Excited:  I really haven't read many mermaid type books, and while I'm not sure this is a mermaid book (more of an Atlantis type book) but it sounds like a watery forbidden love story that sounds really good.

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross
#2 in the Steampunk Chronicles

Why I'm Excited:  Cover.  Plain and simple.  I haven't read the first book, The Girl in the Steel Corset, but after seeing this STUNNING cover, I really want to pick this series up.  (To be honest, I have no idea what it's about, nor do I really care lol).

Taken by Storm by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
#3 in the Raised by Wolves series

Why I'm Excited:  This is the final book in the very popular werewolf series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.  I haven't read this series yet, but I've hear that it's a very good story and that many people regretted not starting this series sooner.






May 28

Underworld by Meg Cabot
#2 in the Abandon Trilogy

Why I'm Excited:  I really like Meg Cabot's adult chick-lit books, so I really want to check out her YA paranormal romance.  (Side note, I really don't like this cover model, she's a little too gaunt for my taste).






May 29

Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore
#1 in the Angel Eyes Trilogy
DAC

Why I'm Excited:  Angel Eyes sounds like a fun paranormal romance full of drama.  I just hope this doesn't become too stereotypical. 

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini
#2 in the Starcrossed series

Why I'm Excited:  This series sounds like a really cool paranormal romance.  I like the Helen of Troy myth and I'm curious to see how this interpretation of that story goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment