Published October 26, 2011 by Harlequin Teen
egalley for review from netgalley
5 stars
Goodread Review
Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.
Unless he can earn a soul.
To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.
Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.
With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.
To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.
And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
Review: I have to admit that I was very skeptical going into this book, but I am so glad I read it! I think this may be my favorite of the series. The setting in this book is just fantastic. It is so interesting and vivid, I wish it were a movie because I think I could sit and watch just the scenery for days. I also really loved the overall story of the book (no spoilers!). The quest that Ash goes on is really interesting and looks at the moral implications of being fey as well as what the future holds for the fey as humans move into a more technology driven society.
One aspect of the story that I really liked was how it addressed where fairies go when people forget their names and stories. What happens when you stop believing in them. I've been a huge fan of Peter Pan ever since I was a little kid, so I know that if you want fairies to be healthy and strong, you have to clap your hands and believe!
The characters were as fantastic as they always are. I absolutely LOVED Ash as the narrator. He has this sense of introspection that Meghan never had. Meghan was basically just trying to stay alive, but Ash really contemplates stuff. He's a deep guy, ya know? He also goes through some MAJOR trials in this book, and I really enjoyed (even though it tore my heart up) reading about the different tests he had to face in order to reach his goal. And of course the side cast of Puck, Grim, and the Big Bad Wolf (who we met in Winter's Passage, one of the short stories) are as hilarious as usual. Grim really is just one of the coolest characters ever.
![]() |
| This cat is Grim lol |


I agree about Grim! haha that picture matches his personality well!
ReplyDelete