Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new top ten list complete with one of our bloggers' answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers in the comments.
TOP TEN BOOKS I'D RECOMMEND TO SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T READ X
1. Science Fiction/Dystopia - The Road by Cormac McCarthy or The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins If you're looking for an adult book I would look no further than The Road. It is a true post-apocalyptic book. There really is no hope, society hasn't bounced back, it's just barely hanging on, and the writing style is excellent in portraying this bleak feeling (for a similar YA book I'd recommend Blood Red Road by Moira Young. It's like The Road meets Mad Max). For a YA book I would recommend The Hunger Games trilogy. Not only is is super popular, but it's an exciting sci-fi with a really interesting premise (For an adult book I'd recommend Battle Royale and the movie).
2. Romance - Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins I'm not a big romance person, I tend to roll my eyes as sappy chick-flick type books. But, I really liked Lola. Yes there are many times where I want to just punch the stupid out of her, but I could really related to her at the same time because I'VE TOTALLY BEEN THERE. Also, Cricket (despite his horrible name) is a total hottie geek.
3. Fantasy - The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques or The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis These are two series from my childhood that I love. They're excellent fantasy series that I recommend all the time for kids. The Redwall books are just adorable, I love the badgers, they're my favorite. The Chronicles of Narnia are classic children's literature and I would recommend that every kid read them. (For an adult series it has to be A Game of Thrones).
4. Paranormal Romance - The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead I really love this series (even though Blood Promise was a bit of a miss). The vampire society is really well set up, and the main relationship is totally believable. Lots of awesome magic, action, and yes, sexy times.
5. Classics - The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett This is one of my favorite children's classics. I was given this when I was a little kid and I've probably read it over 10 times. I was so enchanted with this book I would play secret garden every spring in my grandmother's garden. Combine that with the absolutely GENIUS musical written in 1991 and I am totally hooked for life. (seriously people, check out the musical. It is one of the best musicals ever written).
6. Fairy Tale Re-Telling - Cinder by Marissa Meyer I'm very critical of re-tellings. There has to be a fine balance between the well known fairy tale core and a new twist that makes it entertaining and new. Cinder walks that line perfectly. I love this book, the science fiction is excellent and the character are absolutely wonderful.
7. Horror - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton Jurassic Park has been one of my favorite movies since I was 5 years old. I read the book when I was 10, and I fell even more in love. It's scary and science-y, which is the perfect mix for me. It is definitely an adult book with lots of scary scenes and adult themes (like man becoming like god-creators for example), but damn do I love this book.
8. Mystery - And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie I would go so far as to say Agatha Christie is the #1 mystery writer of all time, and And Then There Were None is her #1 book. It is perfect. The pacing of the plot is perfect, I was kept wondering who was the killer the entire time. And the ending? All I can say is WOW.
9. Tough Stuff - The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie Autumn Self Harm. Mental Illness. Objectifying Women. Depression. Rape. Suicide. TAfWVG is an excellent book that is half memoir half historical fantasy that takes a very stark and open look at mental illness and how it is dealt with, or in many cases not dealt with and just pushed under a rug. Emilie Autumn is a genius, both on stage and in writing. This book is beautiful, with over 200 glossy full color pages, and is well worth the money.
10. GLBT - Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan I think a lot of heterosexual people are a little wary about reading a GLBT book because they're worried about how they will relate to a romantic relationship between two people to which they're not attracted. I can totally understand this, but Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a story that can relate to anyone. It's not so much about a gay relationship (though that is a big factor), it's more about being who you are and being comfortable with that person.

You have some great books on your list. The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls looks really interesting. I'll have to check it out.
ReplyDeleteOhhh I like how you split this up! I definitely agree with The Hunger Games!!
ReplyDeleteMy Tuesday Posts
@Lisa, yes the asylum are freaking awesome!!!! I love it so much. It's expensive and hard to get, but WOW it's so worth it.
ReplyDelete@Anna thanks! I didn't realize people were doing like, 10 books for people who don't read YA or 10 books for people who don't read fantasy until I had finished my post. oh well, I like how I did it because I read everything!
Cinder is on my wish list due to numerous recommendations - including your own, so I'm looking forward to being able to buy it.
ReplyDeleteThe Road and Jurassic Park are two books I really, really want to read this year. Also, the more I hear about Cinder the more intregued I am! The Secret Garden is a fantastic classic!
ReplyDelete