Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

#3 in the Iron Fey series
Published January 25, 2011 by Harlequin Teen
5 Stars

Goodreads Review
My name is Meghan Chase.
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back.

Review:  The Iron Queen is a gripping conclusion to the main trilogy of The Iron Fey series.  It's the final show down between fey, with the summer and winter courts teaming up to stand up against the full onslaught of the Iron Fey forces, and Meghan may be their only hope of winning.  

The best part of this book is what I've been saying is the best part for the entire series, the fey lore.  We learn even more about the iron fey and Meghan and the magic revealed in this book is awesome.   Kagawa is just an excellent world builder, as I have said before.  I kept thinking that there was no way that the setting could get any better or that the world could be more enriched with thoughtful detail, but man was I wrong.  I also have to commend Kagawa on her choices she made with the ending.  I won't post any spoilers, but I'm really glad she went in the direction she did, and I loved how the ending wasn't picture perfect, but realistic.  It fit the mythology she spent three books building and left me tearing up with a broken heart.  

I also have to say that after three books Meghan FINALLY because the awesome bad ass I knew she could be.  The growth from The Iron King to this book is just awesome.  I love it when characters find their inner  Chuck Norris and just start kicking ass.  I loved all of the characters in this book though, not just Meghan.  Puck and Grim are as awesome as ever, and we also got to meet more really funny and interesting iron fey.  I really liked the rebels, it showed that the iron fey aren't just heartless machines.  They're fey too with feelings and fears. I actually found myself liking Ash a lot in this book, unlike The Iron Daughter.  I found Meghan and Ash's relationship to be a lot more believable which was a total relief.  The character development for the entire cast was very well done.


Overall The Iron Queen is a fantastic finale to Meghan Chase's story.  We've seen her grow from a timid school girl to a kick ass faery queen, ready to fight for the people she has come to love.  The mythology set up in this series is superb.  It is a rich and detailed world that will stay in your imagination long after you've put the book down.  I cannot recommend this series enough. 



No comments:

Post a Comment