#1 and #2 in the Morganville Vampires Series
Published November 3, 2009 by NAL Trade
4 Stars
Goodreads Review
The first two novels in the New York Times bestselling Morganville Vampires series together for the first time in a new trade paperback edition.
Morganville is a small college town in the heart of Texas-not a place that exactly screams "hotbed of creatures of the night". But college freshman Claire Danvers is about to discover why, in Morganville, you should never, ever stay out after dark...
Glass Houses
College freshman Claire Danvers moves off campus and into an old house in the small town of Morganville. Her new roommates have her back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...
The Dead Girls' Dance
Claire may have a great roommate and a new boyfriend, but when she's invited to the Dead Girls' Dance all hell breaks loose-literally. Because this time, the living and the dead are ready to tear up the night...
Review: You can tell that Rachel Cain has a foundation in adult urban fantasy. I felt like I was reading more of a toned down adult book than YA. However I think this makes the series stand out from other YA vampire series. Cain isn't afraid to show you the sexy make out scenes, rather than just tell you it happened and gloss over the actual hooking up. I really appreciated that because what can I say? I like a little hot kissing every now and then.
Cain also puts her characters into very adult situations. In the first two books we already faced drinking, bullying, drugs, attempted rape, murder, and suicide. This is almost a bad thing because SO much bad stuff happened already I can't imagine where the series will go without becoming so dramatic it becomes ridiculous. And there's a lot more in the series (11 books so far).
Glass Houses
In the first book in the series we're introduced to 16 year old college freshman Claire. She is being horribly bullied by some BEYOTCHS and decides to move out of the dorms into an old house with three other teens Eve, Michael, and Shane. And then the shit hits the fan because Claire finds out there are vampires running this town and the girls who have been bullying her are tight with some scary vamps. Now Claire and her friends have to basically find a way to save their asses from being beaten or blood sucked to death. This book was super exciting and really caught my interest because the writing was just so different from all the other YA paranormals. I also loved that Claire was super smart and didn't abandon school just because of a little vampire problem. Eyes on the prize girl!
Dead Girls Dance
If you thought things were tense in the first book, then be prepared to be blown away by the second. Things really get crazy in this book when Shane's dad and his biker gang roll into Morganville to do some major vampire revenge massacre. In this book I would almost say things were TOO cray-cray because the resolution of all of the drama seemed to quick and easy. I do like how Claire seems to grow a pair in this book. She's a lot more resourceful and daring (maybe a little too daring at times). I also really liked learning more about the vampires and how they work (or don't work) as a society. (However the title is misleading because there's hardly any dancing).
I have to admit I was a little wary because of all the hype, but after reading the first two books I see that the series is deserving and am very anxious to read the next bind up.

No comments:
Post a Comment