Thursday, September 15, 2011

BBAW 2011: Readers


This week is book blogger appreciation week!  If you want to check out more visit here.  Today we're talking about readers and how they have influenced our blogging, reviewing, and personal reading habits.  There's a series of questions that are really awesome, so I thought I'd share my opinions as well.

Has book blogging changed the way you read?

YES!  I used to read all of the time, but once I got into college my reading for fun really tapered off in favor of reading text books, studying for tests, and drinking (hey I was in college what did you expect lol).  However once I graduated and moved away from all of my friends to live on my own I fell back in love with reading. 

I didn't get really into reading though until I discovered the book vlogging community on youtube.  It all started with me watching book videos about Battle Royale and The Hunger Games.  I had been a fan of the Battle Royale movie for years, so I decided I wanted to read the books and make my own judgements.  Then I started finding different channels that introduced me to new books and it took off from there.  I had been using goodreads for a few months already, but it wasn't until I started being more active on youtube that I figured out the awesomeness of that site.

Now because I blog and vlog about books I find myself reading a much greater variety of books and with a lot more frequency.  I feel like I need to catch up because I took five years off and now there are so many amazing books I need to read.

Have you discovered books you never would have apart from book blogging?

Oh my gosh yes!  I think that being active in the online book community has really introduced me to new books.  Goodreads is my number one source for new reading material, but I also rely heavily on youtube reviews and hauls.  Pretty much every book I've reviewed on here I wouldn't have heard of if it weren't for youtube.  Before I got involved in this community I didn't really read YA beyond Harry Potter and I know I wouldn't have started if I hadn't met some awesome people.

How has book blogging affected your book acquisition habits?

Holy hell.  My book buying habits are getting out of hand.  The wonderful world of book blogging introduced me to an amazing store called Half Price Books.  Oh man.  I spend WAAAYYY to much time in there.  Since I've started blogging I've probably bought 500 books.  I haven't read them all, but I plan on reading them, so that has to count for something right?  I would love to get an e-reader so I can sell some physical books and get a little more space in my apartment.

Have you made new connections with other readers because of book blogging?  

I totally have!  I've met some amazing people because I started blogging.  I hope to continue to grow my blog and youtube channel and eventually go to BEA and other conventions.  I have started to go to book signings, but very few are in Ohio.  I drove to Indiana to a John Green signing though, and that was sweet.  I have made some awesome friends and I hope to continue to make more in the future. 

I wanted to take a moment and thank all of the authors, bloggers, and readers that make this community so special.  I have felt so welcomed since I started blogging a few months ago, and I really love everyone I have met.  Bloggers have made a difference, both in the publishing world and in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the book blogging world!

    I love everyone I have met through blogging, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been posting on some classic paranormal short stories recently, the last one was from India in 1916

    I am stopping by from the Philippines to see how book blogging has changed your reading life

    How Book Blogging Transformed My Reading Life

    ReplyDelete