Ew. That first book is jacked. Seriously, that is disgusting. The leg's arent' in a graceful position and the feet look like they've been beaten with a hammer. The Lost Saint isn't as bad, but in this cover we get side butt. Don't need to see that.
Sarah Dessen is another author that has fallen victim to multiple feet covers.
There's another trend where dead feet with toe tags is really popular. I mean really popular. I understand that the book is a murder mystery or the memoirs of an undertaker, but really? That's just gross.
Ok I'm grossing myself out...I need to stop. I don't understand what the publisher's think would be appealing about these covers. It's gross and tells almost zero about the story. I totally judge these books by their covers and think that the stories inside them are silly girl stories with no real depth, which isn't true (case in point Judy Blume's Forever...). I really hope publishers get over this trend soon because it's not lending anything to the contemporary genre. I'll stick to dystopian, thanks.
I don't have such a huge problem with the feet on a beach or in water (though that girl should NOT be showing her crotch to the world, but that's another conversation) but with Along for the Ride I can't help but feel she's breaking some sort of safety code. You should never ride a bike backwards without shoes, that's just asking for blood.
There's also the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCaferty. I know these are very good books, but I cannot get past the covers. At least in the second book her feet are cut off, but on the third one the girl is HOLDING A FLOWER WITH HER FOOT. Seriously, does that need to be on a book cover? I think not. (Not to mention it's yet again another crotch shot).
There's another trend where dead feet with toe tags is really popular. I mean really popular. I understand that the book is a murder mystery or the memoirs of an undertaker, but really? That's just gross.
However it doesn't stop there. Feet covers are everywhere and they just keep coming...
and coming...
and coming....
Ok I'm grossing myself out...I need to stop. I don't understand what the publisher's think would be appealing about these covers. It's gross and tells almost zero about the story. I totally judge these books by their covers and think that the stories inside them are silly girl stories with no real depth, which isn't true (case in point Judy Blume's Forever...). I really hope publishers get over this trend soon because it's not lending anything to the contemporary genre. I'll stick to dystopian, thanks.

























I hadn't really noticed that there were so many books with feet on the cover. I agree that they don't really convey whats inside the book. Great now foot covers is all I'm going to see.
ReplyDeleteO.M.G. I too didn't realize how many there were until you posted all those covers... Now I'm gonna check all my books for feet and when I buy a new book I am gonna check for feet. It's going to take another twenty minutes longer than normal.
ReplyDelete