#3 in Vampire Academy Series
Published in 2008 by Razorbill
Ages 15+
5 Stars
Goodreads Review
For Rose Hathaway, everything seems out of kilter. Ever since she made her first Strigoi kills, a dark shadow has been creeping over her. Looming in the background, too, is another realization: If she follows her forbidden love for guardian Dimitri Belikov, she might lose her best friend forever. And these sleep-shaking worries couldn't have come at a worse time. The immortal unloving are prowling everywhere, famished for vengeance against her. An adrenaline-laced episode of the teen pop favorite Vampire Academy.
Review: The third book in the Vampire Academy series, Shadow Kiss is where the story really takes off. In this book we learn a lot more about the vampire lore and also get to read some awesome action sequences and an ending that will seriously make you lose. your. shit.
The book starts off dealing with the tragedy from the end of Frostbite. I love the bittersweet feeling of the molnija marks and how Rose is trying to move on, but seeing the ghosts of dead students really isn't helping. It was interesting to read about Rose starting to question the life of a guardian and how dhampirs really get the shit end of the stick in society's arrangement. Rose goes through so much growth and evolves from a mouthy teenager in the first book to a seasoned fighter by the end of the third. I thought the legend of the shadow kissed was really cool. I think it's a really interesting way of explaining Rose and Lissa's special relationship and definitely opens the door for more development and exploration of their powers and their connection.
The books starts off a little slow, but WOW what an ending. It was action packed, thrilling, and completely unexpected. What a heart breaking turn of events! (I don't want to give away any spoilers but HOLY GOD). This ending was one of the very best endings I've ever read in YA, and it's what earned this book a five star rating. This ending is a strong transition from the atmosphere of the first three books to the final three books. It sets up the rest of the series and I cannot wait to continue!
Overall Shadow Kiss is an interesting continuation of the series that delves deeper into the vampire lore and ends with a bang that is sure to have readers crying out in indignation, anger, and despair (I know I did!).

No comments:
Post a Comment