Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new top ten list complete with one of our bloggers' answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers in the comments.
TOP TEN BOOKS WHOSE TITLES OR COVERS MADE ME BUY IT
1. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan - This book is because of the title. What a perfect zombie book title! It's chilling and violent and awesome. Too bad the book didn't do as much for me as the title did.
2. Wither by Lauren DeStefano - This book I knew nothing about other than the fact that the cover was amazing. It's so, in the words of Tyra, FIERCE! Again too bad the story inside of it doesn't live up to the awesomeness that is this gorgeous cover.
3. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - I haven't read The Wolves of Mercy Falls yet, but if the cover is indicative of the story within (and I have a feeling I'm going to like these books because I loved The Scorpio Races) it's going to be beautifully written. These covers are so intriguing and unique, they really drew me to these books, even before I really got into YA.
4. Possess by Gretchen McNeil - This cover is lovely and creepy at the same time. I love how the girl looks a little Asian like Bridget (she's half Asian, half Caucasian). I also love how the trees also kind of look like creepy veins. In real life the cover has a really pretty shine that makes it extra pretty.
5. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - I love how on the hard cover the title seems to disappear depending on how the light hits the cover. I'm usually not a fan of headless people on book covers, but I think because of the fact that they're underwater it's ok. I also really like the position of the man in this photo. Is he helping her out of the water? Or is he dragging her under?
6. From Bad To Cursed by Katie Alender - I LOVE THIS COVER. You can't really tell in the picture but the expression on this girls face is so creepy. She looks straight evil. I actually bought this book then realized it's the second book in a series lol. Yeah the cover was that awesome for me.
7. Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs - This book is a modern interpretation of the Medusa legend, and WOW was a perfect cover! I love how her braid mimics a snake without actually turning into a snake (unlike some other book covers that take the whole modern Medusa thing a little too far). I also love how you can see her bones at the back of her neck. I don't know why, but I feel like they add to the other-worldly-ness of the book.
8. Firelight by Sophie Jordan - I have red hair, so I always love seeing fellow red heads on the covers of books. I especially love what they did with this cover model, giving her golden scales and human-reptile hybrid eyes. I think the red and gold coloring really lends to the title too, being fiery colors and whatnot.
9. Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev - I really like the almost anime quality of this cover. I really like how it combines the fantasy elements of the book with the theater aspects. Really the entire series has beautiful covers, but I really don't know what these books are about. At all. I just know the covers are lovely.
10. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld - While I disagree with the title matching the cover (the cover of Pretties should be called Uglies, IMO) I think this cover is SO pretty. I'm not a huge fan of the cover re-designs either. I like the smaller version of these books and the face covers. They're more unique and interesting in the original format.











YES! I so agree with Wither and also had it on my list! I don't know HOW I didn't think of Mara Dyer..except for me it was also the title that really intrigued. WHO IS MARA? WHAT IS SHE UNBECOMING? lol. Also I like your observation about whether or not he is helping her or not by the way he is holding her! I hadn't thought about that!
ReplyDeleteI agree that I prefer the old cover of the Uglies series to the redesigns. That's one of my favorite series <3
ReplyDeleteAnd Firelight was on my list as well! :)
Eyes Like Stars. Oh, that looks so compelling. Lovely.
ReplyDeleteLove the cover/title for The Forest of Hands and Teeth! Such a perfect pick. I have a feeling Wither is going to make a lot of lists today (I almost included it!).
ReplyDeleteLove the German covers for the Uglies as well as this one too!
Great picks! If you have a minute stop by to see what I picked this week at There's A Book.
Wither and Firelight were both on my list and I agree with your reasons for liking Firelight's cover. The other book that stands out to me is Eyes Like Stars, because I totally agree with you about the anime quality of the cover and I am addicted to anime.
ReplyDeleteLove the list especially The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and Wither.
ReplyDeleteYou have picked a great set of covers here! Lots of really interesting and pretty ones. I really want to read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, every time I see it I just get more intrigued.
ReplyDeleteI like the minimalism of the Shiver cover. It makes me so curious as to what it's about.
ReplyDelete@Jamie lol "what is she Unbecoming" I think it was supposed to be more of her acting out like in an unbecoming way, but I'm not sure that's what happened in the book. Someone tells her that something she's doing (swearing I think) is unbecoming and I think that was an attempt to tie in the title.
ReplyDelete@Michelle I know. The redesigns are too generic si-fi. I like the little books.
@Anne The cover art really drew me to this series. I know it's about fairies and Shakespeare but that's about it.
@1stdaughter I agree Wither will be on a lot of different lists today and it should, it's got such a great cover. I'll have to check out the German versions of Uglies, I haven't seen it.
ReplyDelete@Kathy it's weird because I usually don't like anime all that much, but I really love these covers.
@Tanya Thanks! I could have probably come up with a top 50, I love cover art
@1girl Mara Dyer is pretty good, a tiny bit disappointing, but I think a lot of people that like PR will really enjoy it.
@Trish I know, right? Even before I got into reading YA and reviewing I wanted to read Shiver. There is somthing really drawing about that style.
Your list is full of eye catching covers. I'm a judger by covers, so I agree with every single book you have on here! I was just as captivated by the cover of Wither when it first came out. I bought it without knowing anything about the story itself, just because that cover is gorgeous! I love the sequel's cover too, Fever. Just as beautiful.
ReplyDeleteKristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves
P.S. Come check out my blog's first giveaway here
I listed Uglies, too. Check out my list -
ReplyDeletehttp://joriesreads.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/top-ten-book-covers/
I absolutely agree with all of these. Great choices!
ReplyDeleteLots of beautiful covers. Sweet Venom is one where the cover really got me.
ReplyDeleteAmy @ www.bookgoonie.com
http://t.co/RhV51NuE
I've got the Forest of Hands and Teeth and Shiver are both on my list too! I was tempted to put Uglies on it too, nice choices!
ReplyDeleteNew follower, come check out my TTT here!
The Wolves of Mercy Falls series is one of my favorites - and putting all the books together on my shelf is aesthetically pleasing haha ;)
ReplyDeleteWow everyone, thanks for all of the comments! It makes me feel so special :')
ReplyDeleteLove your choices I either own Or want to buy them, I'm a new follower, my WOW http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/2011/10/top-ten-tuesday.html
ReplyDelete