Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday 10/4/11:Top Ten Book Endings That Left Me With My Mouth Hanging Open

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.  This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish.  We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new top ten list complete with one of our bloggers' answers.  Everyone is welcome to join.  All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating.  If you don't have a blog, just post your answers in the comments.

TOP TEN BOOK ENDINGS THAT LEFT ME WITH MY MOUTH HANGING OPEN  
  1. The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie Autumn - I LOVED this ending!  It was creepy and shocking and had me wondering how much of this book was fiction and how much of it was autobiographical.  I seriously loved it, a perfect ending that literally gave me chills.
  2. Shadow Kiss, #3 in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead - This is where the vampire academy series really takes off, and holy crap what an ending!  I totally didn't see it coming and I couldn't believe that Richelle Mead actually did what she did.  I was equally horrified at what happened to our characters and excited to see what could possibly happen next.
  3. Catching Fire, #2 in the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins - The ending of Catching Fire had me scrambling to read Mockingjay.  The ending leads you into this false sense of security, that Katniss was safe and had made it out of trouble again, only to have the final line of the book punch you in the stomach.  I honestly had no idea what to think except that I had to get my hands on the next book.
  4. Feed, #1 in the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant - I never thought I would BAWL MY FREAKING EYES OUT after reading a zombie book, but I guess there's a first time for everything.  Feed is a masterfully crafted novel, and the ending is just heart breaking.  Feed is everything that a zombie book should be, and really outshines everything else in it's genre. 
  5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, #4 in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling - This is where the series takes a turn.  It goes from being more middle grade adventure stories to intense young adult novels.  This is where the big and bad rises to full power and we as readers realize just how much shit Harry is about to be in.  It's also the first major death and shows that the new generation of hogwarts students aren't safe.
  6. Nevermore, #1 in the Nevermore series by Kelly Creagh - Um...what???  I can't believe what happened to Varen!  I was seriously howling NOOOOO at the end of this book.  When does Enshadowed come out?  Not until 2012!?!?!?! Shit!
  7. Divergent, #1 in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth - This isn't really a book that left me feeling shocked, but it definitely gave me more questions than answers and I'm DYING for Insurgent.
  8. The Iron King, #1 in the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa - This again wasn't a majorly shocking ending, but it definitely had me wanting more.  I love that feeling when I finish a book and immediately need the next one.
  9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Even though we're warned from the beginning that the ending is going to be horrible, I still wasn't expecting it and bawled my eyes out like a little baby.
  10. The Amber Spyglass, #3 in the His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman - Poor Lyra and Will!  This is not a happy ending, but it is a great one.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with Divergent. It's left me dying for Insurgent also.

    My Top Ten: http://hopefaithbooks.blogspot.com/2011/10/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-book-endings.html

    -Brittani

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 sounds like something I would love to read. I'll have to see if I can find a copy. And, ya, #9? Total weep-fest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 and #7 - YES. I share your sentiments on these two.

    ReplyDelete